Friday, December 5, 2008

Rocky Mountain Roadtrip

Once leaving Smithers I headed east to Prince George and decided to continue go to Jasper and then head south through the National Parks. It was quite a spectacular drive through the Rockies. The roads were quite slippery and there was quite a bit of snow in the mountains. I travelled through Mount Robson park, Jasper, Banff, Yoho and Glacier national parks as well as Mt. Relvelstoke park. What an amazing landscape these parks entail. Since the weather was pretty overcast I couldn't see too many of the peaks, but you could really feel the rugged beauty of this wilderness landscape. I saw a Bighorn sheep as well as a herd of elk on the drive past countless peaks over the 10,000 ft. range. The columbia icefields was also an amazig area containing the largest glacial deposits south of the arctic circle. The wide and diverse river valley's were perfect wolf habitat with plenty of prey including caribou, deer and elk, while the highlands support healthy populations of bighorn sheep and mountain goat. Rogers pass ws quite the drive as you climb to the top where the highway is protected with a series of 'shelter/barriers' from the ever present threat of avalanches in the winter time. There was a lot of snow up there and very steep drop-offs to the valleys below. There is a huge expanse of wilderness here in this part of the Rocky mountains and I hope to one day return to explore this beautiful area. From Revelstoke I continued south and across the galena bay ferry to the Nakusp area. As I headed over to New Denver and into the Slocan Valley I began to feel at home in an area that I have spent much time in in the past. Soon I was in Nelson and another tracking adventure was about to begin!

No comments: